Monday, February 16, 2009

Where to Start?!

Many things to be getting on with this week. Where to start?! 

I'm organising a fundraiser for the film. I have a couple of people attached, but I'll wait until it's all confirmed to advertise it or tell you more. But there's a few nuts still to tighten! 

I'm also putting together a proposal to attract local sponsorship. I don't know how successful I'll be but at least I've had some professional advice! Thanks Claire Norton of the Heartland Film Festival for some great ideas.

Still some actors to talk to and cast on S&B, which is fast approaching. Still some work to to there. I'd like to have another look at the script and tighten that up and also do some storyboards, just to get it clear in my head. I also have some location work to do and I have to confirm two venues! 

I'm slightly worn out after Paris! It was four days of non-stop activities, which involved alot of walking! The Metro is great, but Paris is still big! Got home late on Saturday having missed our flight (had to wait in the CDG airport for 5 hours! Forced to buy coffees for €8.50!) Had something of a lie in yesterday but was off again to go see a 3D screening of Coraline as part of the Dublin Film Festival in Dundrum, so that was a walk to the train station, a train, a walk to the Luas line and a Luas! Tired, hungry and thirsty we sat down to watch the movie, which was fantastic!

I thought it was wonderfully unusual, the 3D was great and fun, but secondary to a very good film, beautifully made and told in a very dark and satisfying way. It really is wonderful to see films like this being made for kids. Reminds me of the edgier Henson films like Dark Crystal and Labyrinth, which were scary and creepy. Not like the homogenised pasteurised paste they make for children these days (Pixar excluded).  

As Neil Gaiman (author of the book the film was based on) said during the Q&A, films are being made for kids these days that act as a distraction from life, they're something you can sit a child infront of and not have to worry about them being afraid, or engaged, or educated, or have them ask questions after. 

It's important to allow children to be challenged, to find out for themselves what they're afraid of. Allow them to hide behind the couch if something scares them and to return when the wicked witch is gone. It helps shape their minds, helps them form opinions, decide for themselves what they can take and it makes them braver. Don't fast forward the scary parts! No. I think nightmares are like chicken pocks, its better to get them young and deal with them then, because if you have to deal with them when you're older it much much worse.

I think the problem is that most adult forget what it was like to be a kid. I remember vividly. I saw American Werewolf in London when I was 8 or 9. It did me no harm. In fact, I loved it, I still love that film and I have fond memories of hiding behind the couch terrified, but feeling safe because my dad was with me (I only found out years later that he was as terrified as I was!:)

It opened my eyes to what film could do and how interactive it could be as a medium. Perhaps that's not what I was think aged 9 hiding behind a cushion! But it informed something in me that has stayed with me to this day. I would not have had that experience if my parents hadn't trusted me and allowed me to take that step.

Well, back to work I guess. Have to get my head into gear. Alot to do this week. Starts now. Exciting updates to come, keep watching. And hopefully there will be a podcast soon! Sorry for the delay. Also, big announcement on a very very exciting new film project coming soon, I may have mentioned it before, it's going to be called 140 and all will be revealed soon. I want to get a few people attached first and then there'll be a big press release. 

More soon. Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: