Wednesday, November 25, 2009

140 at the Screen Director's Guild

I forgot to blog about this! I think I just had a busy week straight after! Yes, I screened 140 for the Screen Directors Guild of Ireland on the 16th of this month. A select group of directors from film and television came along as the first audience to the most recent cut of 140.

I must admit, it was quite nerve wracking! Having work so close to the project for months it is hard to separate myself from it and get some distance, enough to see if it's working, which why I thought it was important to do this screening and find out how an audience of strangers reacted to it.

I got a lot from the screening. Watching in that state, being fully aware that other people were seeing it for the first time and trying to prejudge what they might think, I did feel it was running too long. This cut is 95 minutes, up from the 80 minute version that screened at Hatchfest, which feels much better. So I need to bring it down.

With new clips going in late some of the balance was effected and carefully constructed music was thrown off too. I still need to figure it out, I'm not entirely happy with how it's all sitting at the moment. I was. But now I feel it needs a bit more time to make it the best it can be. I don't think it's going to be done this side of Christmas. But I'm sure the filmmakers involved will understand this delay. I want to present their work in the best light possible.

I've digested the comments from the night, which were positive, and where critical, constructive. So I am now able to look at the film with new energy and some distance. So I'm looking forward to getting back into it and getting it out into the world.

No comments: